Gallery Wall Tutorial
Hey friends! I’ve been wanting to share this with you for a long time so I’m really excited to finally have it put together for you! WHOOP! You guys! Let me start by giving my guy a shout out for putting up with all my little projects around the house! He measured out and hung 8 pics only for me to decide I wanted 12 so 99 holes in the wall later and our gallery is hung 👏🏻! Basically professionals now so we’re good to go for next time 😏riiiiiiight?!!
- FIND THE CENTRE : Measure your wall (both vertically and horizontally) to find your centre point.
- FIND YOUR HOOK HEIGHT : Measure from the top of the frame to the hook (ours measured 11cm)
- SPACE BETWEEN FRAMES : Decide how much space you want between your pictures! I’ve heard 2” is “perfect spacing” but we went with 3cm (1.18” to be exact)
- BREATHING ROOM : Now the math! 🙃 Wall height minus picture frames minus space between each pic = top and bottom size (space above and below your gallery wall) Take that number and divide by two.
Ex. Wall height 256cm Picture Frames 70cm x 3 = 210cm Spacing between rows 3cm x 2 = 6cm >>256cm - 201cm - 6cm = 40cm divided by 2 = 20cm on top & 20cm on bottom <<
- FIRST ROW : Take that number and add your number from step 2.
Ex. 20cm + 11cm = 31cm
This gives you your measurements for your first row. Add the size of the frame + your desired space between each frame for your second row of hooks and repeat again for your third row.
Ex. Second row: 31cm + 70cm + 3cm = 104cm
Ex. Third row: 104cm + 70 + 3cm = 177cm or just add 73cm between each row of hooks after the first row!
I know it looks confusing AF you guys but I’m a perfectionist and in the end it’s honestly SO WORTH IT!!!
- Work outwards from your centre point. Our frames are 50cm across and we used a 3cm spacing. From our centre line to the right and left we measured 1.5cm + 25cm to place our first hooks. 26.5 to the left and right of the center line.
- Add your full frame size plus your spacing for your outside hooks!
Ex. 50cm Frame + 3cm spacing = 53cm from your inside hooks to your outside hooks!
Check your work with a level!
** we hung all the frames with wall anchors and screws **
Once this step is done it’s safe for your spouse to return to the room 🙈🤪 in this case me! 😂 it’s all good we’re still married!
Choose which order you want your pictures in and hang them up! It’s okay to rearrange them until you’re happy! At this point it’s a minor detail!
Use Command Pic Strips along the bottom to secure your pics from tipping especially if you’ve got wild children like us! 🙈
Flip the matting that comes with the IKEA RIBBA frames for a brighter white look!